Independent Living Home Safety Checklist
Use this Independent Living Home Safety Checklist to help make your home safer. By correcting items answered “No” you can improve your home safety and help prevent accidents. Our Home Safety Guide For Seniors provides solutions for many home safety problems.
- Are there sturdy handrails or banisters by all steps and stairs?
- Is there adequate lighting in all stairs and hall?
- Is there a light switch at both the top and bottom of stairs?
- Are stairways and hallways clear of clutter and loose objects?
- Is there a light switch by the doorway of each room?
- Is there a flashlight, light switch or lamp beside the bed?
- Are all electric cords placed close to walls, out of path?
- Are rugs secured around all edges?
- Are rugs smooth and flat with no folds or wrinkles?
- Is there a list of emergency phone numbers by the phone? Fire, Police, Emergency, Ambulance?
- Are all medicines marked clearly including the name of medicine, date purchased, directions, when taken?
- Is there a non-skid surface on the floor of the bathtub or shower? Non-skid strips or rubber mat?
- Are there adequate hand holds for getting in and out of the shower or bathtub?
Accessible Design & Consulting
(866) 902-9800 Toll-Free
(310) 215-3332 Office